Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interprets eyeglass or contact lens prescriptions written by ophthalmologists or optometrists.
- Analyzes patient facial features and eyes to select and ensure proper fit of eyeglasses and lenses.
- Assists patients in selecting frames based on their prescription, fashion requirements and lifestyle.
- Assists patients in selecting lens types, materials, coatings & tints based on their prescription and lifestyle.
- Provides patient education on eyewear care.
- Provides patient education on lens adaptation.
- Ensures eyewear and finished lenses are ground to specifications, checks that eyewear fits properly and adjusts accordingly.
- Acts a liaison with lens and frame sales representatives to order, display and inventory proper eyewear to meet the needs of practice patient flow.
- Maintains records and cost controls to optimize optical dispensary profitability.
Education and Experience
- Optician in Good Standing; Licensed as required and;
- 2 - 3 years Dispensing Optical Experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Necessary to Perform Primary Functions:
- Communication Skills:
- Good listening and verbal interpretation skills to counsel patients on personal eyeglass needs and solutions;
- Positive communication style to inspire customer/patient confidence;
- Ability to read and follow instructions precisely.
- Computer Skills:
- Facile with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office products and Internet.
- Facile with email functions of sending attachments, downloading attachments and basic file maintenance and structure.
- Clinical Skills:
- Strong working knowledge of ocular terminology;
- Facile with ocular anatomy and physiology;
- Highly skilled with use of optical instrumentation and testing procedures including;
- Eye examination procedures as performed by optometrists and/or ophthalmologists;
- Optical instrumentation and testing;
- Working knowledge of medical terminology;
- Working knowledge of vision correction options available to patient (i.e. contact lenses, refractive surgery and eye glass correction)
- Strong basic math skills;
- Talent for precise work, steady hands, and a good sense of color.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements:
- Environmental Conditions: Normal office environment.
- Level of Visual Acuity: Inspection, clerical, professional, and administrative.