Laser Surgery Technician
The Laser Surgery Technician is responsible for key patient care functions including conducting comprehensive examinations and LASIK consultations, assisting physicians during LASIK surgery, and providing follow-up care to Laser Eye Surgery patients during the post-operative period. The Laser Surgery Technician is responsible for accurate collecting of all clinical data for patients through clinical exams, and compilation of clinical outcome data. The Laser Surgery Technician is the technical resource for excimer laser calibration and operation and ensures compliance with required laser safety programs and maintenance as needed on the laser.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with treating LASIK surgeons, conduct all pre-treatment planning and computations for refractive surgery procedures.
- Responsible for the maintenance and testing of the laser and microkeratome as well as all surgical instruments.
- Responsible for interfacing with laser manufacturer field engineering service team to maintain laser operation and inventory and management of supplies including blades and other medical supplies as needed for treatment planning.
- Responsible for programming and running the laser on treatment day. They are responsible for testing and calibrating the laser and making sure all parameters are within the normal guidelines.
- Responsible for compiling and generating clinical outcome data and patient data.
Education and Experience:
- Previous experience as R.N., C.O.T., C.O.M.T.
- 5 - 7 years clinical experience in ophthalmology
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Necessary to Perform Primary Functions:
- Communication Skills:
- An empathetic and reassuring personality.
- Good listening skills.
- A manner that shows respect, concern, and instills trust.
- Facile with Microsoft Products: Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Facile with Internet
Strong working knowledge of ocular terminology, ocular anatomy and physiology as well as ophthalmic instrumentation and testing procedures including;
- Corneal Topography
- Visual Acuities
- Intraocular Pressure
- Laser Calibration
- Laser Operation
- Microkeratome Operation
- Instrument Sterilization